Sunday, September 25, 2005

My sweet cat


Who would believe that this seemingly innocent little cat could go berserk, clawless and nearly toothless as she is, and start attacking a cat 15 years her junior? I certainly would. It would seem little Ivory, my dear, sweet, 17 year old baby, has decided she's had enough. Enough of that little brat of a Zoe sneaking up behind her and jumping over, or worse yet onto, her head. Now, Ivory is the one doing the attacking. I can't say I blame the dear old lady.

Ivory's story is that she was the 2nd cat in our family, after Alley (who sadly is no longer with us). At 17, she's the longest living of our pets, and if you were to listen to my father, the dumbest. She put up for 14 years with being put down by Alley, who was Queen cat of the house. Ivory put up with being second in line for table scraps, comfy laps and window sills. But she put up with it.

Then we got Jake, our white German Shepherd (also gone now). He never messed with Ivory, but he certainly got in her way, being a dog, and therefore not too too bright. In the eyes of a cat, anyway, besides, he was another competitor for the wonderful table scraps. But she put up with it.

When Alley died, Ivory got a little freaked out, and figured that my Dad would take her wherever he'd taken Alley and he wasn't to be trusted. As far as she knew, one day Dad said, "Come on, Alley, you're out of here." and there went that other cat. She didn't trust my father near the door for months. Still, she eventually got used to being the only cat. So, of course, she put up with it.

Then, we got Zoe. My poor dear had to live to see me, her beloved SLS, bring in another cat! Not only a cat, but an energetic kitten. An energetic kitten, who grew to be an annoying attack cat, who blamed any and every problem on her. But, Zoe doesn't eat table scraps, so she put up with it.

However, in the last month, she's decided she's sick of putting up with it. I guess she's decided, she's an old lady, in her restful years and she's going to enjoy it, Darn It! So now, not only does she attack Zoe when the mood hits her (who can easily take care of herself, having both teeth and claws in addition to youthful zest) but she now also jumps up to investigate what sort of table scraps are available to her. While this does pose a problem at meal times for us humans, I can't help but think; It's ok, Ivy girl, you've earned it. Do what you want, and lets aim for that Oldest living Cat record baby!

I love you Ivory, my girl!

No comments: