Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why I'm not a critic

Dear friend,
I just had another session of reading negative reviews of products that I enjoy. That little hobby of mine might sound weird, and even frustrating, but I still do it. Sometimes it can be funny to see someone's vehement hatred of something silly and unimportant like a movie or CD. (In the sense that there are definitely more vital parts of our lives that the same energy could be used in pondering.)

In any case, friend, tonight I was reading reviews of Owl City's album Ocean Eyes. It seems to me that there are only two opinions to have about this album, either you think it sucks or you adore it. I am in the second camp. I cannot seem to get enough of this dude's music. The thing is, though, I'm able to understand those who hate it. When I step back and look at it rationally, the music isn't good. The singing, the lyrics, the style, etc. when looked at objectively aren't great. Yet somehow, put them all together, and it touches something in my heart or soul in a way that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

And so, that is why I'm not a critic. I can't tell you what is of good quality and worth your time. I can only tell you what gives me a feeling of being wrapped in a comfy blanket.

Owl City isn't for everyone. In general I'd almost say that if you're not a romantic (hopelessly and classically so) don't bother. If you do give him a shot and hate him, don't say I didn't warn you (and what's wrong with you?)

No comments: