Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Isn't that a little rude, though?

Dear friend,
This past Sunday our family tried a new church.  It was a nice service, the music was good, the people were friendly and the sermon encouraging.  We met the pastor, and it was obvious that he was making an effort to remember us by name, in order either to recognize us if we came back or to pray for us, who knows. During the conversation he asked me a question that I hear far too often, "How old are you?" 

I know that in my case people ask me this because they can't tell just from looking at me.  I know that in a church there are groups separated by age.  I know that he didn't intend to offend me or set off an angry switch in my soul.  Because I know all of this I answered calmly and truthfully, but I made a decision. 

I am not telling people how old I am anymore.

Part of this decision is because I'm definitely old enough to adopt the "lady-like" policy of keeping such information to myself.  Part of it is because I don't feel my age.  I haven't for years, and as they say, you're only as old as you feel. 

So, from now on, I'm ageless.  

No comments: