Thursday, June 30, 2011

Writing by the seat of my pants (again)

Dear Friend,
The Office of Letters and Light is doing another writing event, like National Novel Writing Month, but instead of holding it in November they're doing it in the summer, for two months.  It's called Camp NaNoWriMo! For at least the month of July (the beta testing month) I will participate by writing another 50,000 word novel in the course of one month.  Depending on how that goes, I may decide to do it again in August.  That's right, two novels in two months, then a break for two months to do it again in November.  I could possibly write three books this year.  Wow.

The most interesting part of this is, I haven't planned very much this time.  I came up with my plot two days ago, and I haven't outlined any of it yet.  I have only three characters thought out, too.  What's weird is that I'm taking a character from my previous NaNovel (written last November) and going back in time and writing about her adolescence.  In all of my writing about this character I've "known" that she grew up with two particular friends, so naturally you would think that those two characters would feature prominently in the story of her childhood, right?  Wrong.  I also knew that every summer those two friends would be gone, visiting family, leaving the main character alone.  I'm setting this novel in the summer, so her friends are gone.  Am I crazy?  I've just made this much harder for me, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.  Besides, in 50,000 words I can probably get back to the point where her friends have come back home.  I've been able to think up two characters for my main character to interact with, though, and I think it will set up some interesting story telling ideas. 

So, tonight, midnight, I'll start my crazy method of writing stories.  I hope I last the whole month, for the third time. 

No comments: