Monday, July 31, 2006

"Conversate" is not a word

Just to tell the world at large, "conversate" isn't a word. The word you are looking for is "converse" No, not the shoe company, in which the first syllable is accented, but the verb in which the second syllable is accented. Get it right! For heaven's sake! it takes more effort to say it incorrectly than it does to say it correctly.

"Irregardless" isn't a word either! "Regardless" is what you mean. The prefix "ir" and the suffix "less" would cancel each other out, making it a double negative, and therefore, a positive. Again, it's easier to say the right one, anyway.

Also, if you want to keep me from getting a headache, learn how to use the word "myself". Yes, it's a real word, but so many people use it incorrectly that I want to pull my hair out.

If I had my way, I'd give free grammar handbooks to the entire English speaking population, and then require them to read at least the basics.
No, I don't care that I am a grammar nerd, and yes I make mistakes sometimes. I am not perfect, but at least I put an effort into my speech and conversation.

Till next I write!

No comments: