Tuesday, May 01, 2007

That's Life


I bought Michael Buble's newest Cd "Call Me Irresponsible" today. I'm sorely disappointed. It's not that the Cd is exactly bad, it's just that it's not actually good. It's more of the same, in a bad sort of way. I like standards, and I've liked most, nearly all, of his previous songs, and I don't dislike this album. I just feel as though I just bought things I already owned.
I suppose that's a big problem with covers, you've heard it all before. The real problem is that the arrangements don't feel new. I realize that having background voices, like band members shouting or a gospel choir backing him up, is new to him and his Cd's, but it's not new enough. He does have two new songs that he co-wrote (most of his fans claim he wrote them, but if he wrote them why are there two other people with writing credits?), and I adore those. Well, let me clarify, I adore Everything and I can see myself one day loving Lost. Maybe if he took the time and effort to write more of his own material I'd be satisfied. I read one persons review of Everything and they didn't like it because it was too different. Too pop, they claimed. I think this guy needs some change. He used to seem new, now he seems old. I'm grateful that I didn't feel like dishing out another $10 for the special addition, which is only special because of one extra song. I would have been truly angry had they gotten $20 for this mediocrity.