Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A little bit more?

Dear Friend,
I've got the weirdest desire to write a screenplay.  Not just any screenplay, either, no I have a desire to write a musical! Let's face it, if I'm going to write a screenplay, I may as well write something fun, ridiculous and altogether absurd.  If there is any sort of scripted program more fun, ridiculous and absurd than a musical then I don't know what it is.  The logic is sound!

I'm not the sort of writer who does "screenplays." I write stories, with description, proper (as far as I can get it) grammar, and I use quotation marks to denote speech.  I don't even have any desire to anyone to produce a screenplay that I write. Mostly I want to do it because I want to be able to say that I have.  I'd write it, never edit it and share it with friends. 

The same people who run National Novel Writing Month each November also run Script Frenzy each April.  While I have taken part in "NaNoWriMo" as they call it (won two years in a row, baby!) I haven't ever considered doing Script Frenzy before.  It's possible that I was not able to come up with a plot idea for Script Frenzy so "soon" after concentrating on a novel length plot in November, but it's also possible that I just didn't want to write a script. 

That all changed, however, when I realized that every song I love is pretty strongly associated with a story in my head.  My mental music videos could easily all be meshed into a single plot-line with some creative thinking on my part.  Combine this with my love for old movie musicals and an idea seed is planted in the fertile ground of my mind. 

So, will I abandon all inhibitions and settle down to write 100 pages of screenplay next month?  I can't decide yet.  I've been having a rough time of it emotionally this past week, and honestly I was going to try to do something in my life other than sit down with my laptop, making clacking noises with my fingers on the keyboard.  I just still don't really know how to do that.  Still, when meeting new people they inevitably ask you what you do, and rather than staring blankly at them, making them very uncomfortable I could instead tell them I'm writing a movie script, and then let it drop into the conversation that I've written two novels.  The sad thing is that the next question would be if I've had anything published, and the answer is decidedly no.  But hey, I'm working on it, right? That's got to count for something. 

No comments: