Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spring Cleaning?

Dear Friend,

Despite the drop in temperature today, I feel that lovely feeling of Spring.  I know it's still only February, and the weather can still throw us a few cold and uncomfortable days, I know that soon it will warm up, flowers will bloom and trees will be green again. 

Unfortunately, that also means that bugs will return, crawling through the house and flying at the windows, driving me to distraction.

One thing I've never really "gotten" about this time of year is Spring Cleaning.  Yes, I understand that it is generally a time that people can open windows and air out the house, change seasonal wardrobes and generally a good occasion for making things tidy, I get that.  What I don't get is why Spring, exactly?  No matter where you are, what the weather is like, the tradition is Spring Cleaning. 

Spring Cleaning has never been my favorite task.  I wouldn't call myself a slob, exactly, but I tend to be on the, let's say relaxed spectrum of cleaners.  I keep my workspace very tidy, but otherwise I won't cringe at the sight of a little dust.  The idea of going through my things and organizing them isn't palatable. 

For this reason, I'm almost alarmed at my actions for the past week.  I've been going through everything from my Netflix queue to my followed Twitter accounts and "pruning."  I think every set of lists and links that I have has been significantly cut down this week.  And the urge to minimize has not been satisfied yet.  I imagine in the next few days I will resort to pulling out entire drawers and storage bins and chucking possessions willy-nilly. 

This is not like me. I'm the woman who has toys that I can't bear to give up scattered about her room, to the extent that small children think I'm about twelve years old.  I have shirts that I got when I was ten. (Very few, possibly two, and they were very large for me then) I have two dresser and two closets, for heaven's sake!

The only time that I've ever noticed people ridding themselves of possessions to this level has normally been before moving.  I'm not moving, am I?  I'm almost afraid that my spirit or subconscious are subtly telling me that something is about to change.  I don't feel like anything is about to change, and in a way that worries me.  Change always comes when you least expect it.

Does my wondering about change qualify as expecting it, therefore meaning that nothing will change?  Hmm...

No comments: