Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Art of Being Friendless

Dear Friend,
I find it extremely ironic to begin a message about being without any friends with "Dear Friend," but that is how I begin all of my entries, so there it is. 

I've been living in Virginia for over four years now, and I don't have a single friend here. I don't even have acquaintances. I realize it can only be my fault, that it takes a special sort of hermit-like person to go that long without forming any type of bond with another human being.  The problem is I have no clue how one goes about making friends.  I came to the realization one day that every friendship I ever had was practically placed in my lap.  I've had to put in the effort to maintain certain friendships, but it has never been an effort to make them.  That isn't normal, is it? 

I keep in contact with people who I used to be friends with, but it never is quite the same, talking through e-mail or Facebook, as it was speaking face to face.  Conversations always become shorter as time goes on, and each of our lives get a little farther apart, no matter how hard I try. 

I'm not complaining, exactly, I'm an air force brat, I'm used to leaving friends behind.  I'm an introvert, I prefer to spend a certain amount of time alone to recharge.  I'm simply beginning to think... I've overdone it. 

There is an art to being friendless. I think I've got a good handle on it.  I'd like to try life the other way, though, for awhile.

No comments: