Friday, January 28, 2011

That Voice!

Dear friend,
It has been a very "Frankie" week for me.  I'm not complaining at all.





I don't have a celebrity crush on Frank Sinatra, mind you.  This isn't a case of "protesting too much," I just want to clear that up. A few years ago my Dad was under the impression that I had a crush on Cary Grant, when I didn't.  This is the same sort of thing; I love them, but I don't love them. (I do have a silly, little crush on a member of the Rat Pack, but it isn't Frank, and I'm not telling you who it is, so don't ask)

Anyway, as I said, it's been a very Frankie sort of week for me.  Turner Classic Movies aired a movie called the Kissing Bandit, which I just had to watch, since Frank was in it.  I have a fondness for Frank's early movies, ones where he played a lovable dork who was so nervous around women that he had no idea what to do.  He was such a little, skinny, silly looking dude that the roles fit him very well.  In my opinion, the only thing this movie had going for it was Frank. It was silly, beyond the point of being able to be taken seriously. The costumes were ridiculous, so much so that I burst into laughter at the sight of some of them.  Frank didn't sing nearly enough, either.  Still, I enjoyed watching it. 

A few other Frank movies were on but I, unfortunately, didn't catch all the way through.  I did, as I mentioned at the end of my birthday post, watched Ocean's 11.  I got it out of curiosity about the Rat Pack.  I enjoyed the movie, enough to look past it's ridiculousness.  (And like I said, I now have a crush on someone in the Rat Pack. Just for fun, use the process of elimination, it's not Dean or Sammy, either.)

The day after my birthday, I used some of my abundant supply of itunes money to buy a few "Essential" albums by Frank and Dean Martin.  I love them both. I don't know why it had taken me so long to get actual CDs from either of these two amazing singers, instead of picking up a song by them here or there.

My brother and my sister-in-law sent me a few musicals on DVD as birthday presents.  They sent me Singing in the Rain and Guys and Dolls.  The smile on my face as I opened the package was considerable. I love both of these movies but had never gotten around to buying either one.  As I write, I'm gleefully watching Guys and Dolls, enjoying the fact that Nathan Detroit, and so many others, aren't using contractions. Or should I say, are not using contractions.

I used to love those cartoons making fun of his screaming and swooning fans.  They were really my first indication that Sinatra existed.  Perhaps they were a strong influence on me, since I consider myself something of a Frank Sinatra fangirl.  I was amused to learn that some of those screaming fans were actresses hired and paid to make him seem more popular.

I don't think I could ever get tired of hearing that man sing. It's been an enjoyable week.

No comments: