Tuesday, September 13, 2011

So that's what I'm supposed to do!

Dear Friend,
I read the most recent blog entry by Adam Young, entitled How To Get Over It. At the end of the entry he says, "If you need me, I’ll be in my fuzzy turtleneck with a bowl of cereal staring out the kitchen window. I like the way the rain sounds against these old bay windows." It reminded me of the Relient K song "Jefferson Aero Plane" and got me wondering. 
Apparently, friend, eating cereal and staring out of windows is a legitimate way of dealing with emotional problems.  If this is true, why haven't I done so? I can't remember ever grabbing a bowl of cereal and staring out of the window, rainy day or not.
Usually, if I'm having cereal I will occupy myself by reading the box, either the back where they advertise whatever other product they wish to sell me or sing the praises of the product I'm already consuming, or I read the nutritional information.
Apparently, for all these years, I've been doing it all wrong.  I need to eat cereal in a melancholy and introspective fashion, preferably in the cold, if all this talk of fuzzy sweaters and open windows is any indication. 
Thank you, Owl City and Relient K, for showing me the error of my ways, and presenting me with a new way to handle my emotional dilemmas.


No comments: