Thursday, June 09, 2005

Sacrifice sucks

I hate having to give up things that I love. I'm pretty sure that just about everyone could relate to that statement, but I'm especially feeling it right now. I've recently been made aware that my parents don't "allow" me to hug guys. This would have been a fabulous thing to know before I got used to and started enjoying hugging one of my coworkers.

Now, whenever I see him, I have the urge to run up to him, wrap my arms around him and hug with all my might. I'm not sure if this is a contrary streak in me, or the fact that I'm aware that he's a good hugger and I just like hugs in general.

So, since I don't consider the occasional hug worth a "fight", I did as I was told and informed him that he couldn't hug me anymore. It was an embarrassing conversation, but I survived. It was embarrassing enough that I left the explanation of why for another day, and hope that I didn't hurt his feelings. If I did, he hasn't shown it, but do guys really do that ever?

Obviously, the sacrifice that my title refers to is this sacrifice of not hugging guys anymore. I never thought that it would be so difficult to me. I'm a "closet hugger", I guess. Most people who know me would probably guess that I don't care one way or the other about hugs, but I do. If I had my way, I'd hug each and every one of my friends whenever I saw them, regardless of gender. But most people I know don't seem too comfortable with hugging, so I don't bother.

Anyway, I think I know now how it might have been for my mom when she gave up eating sweets. You know it's better for you, and the right thing to do, but you see everyone else getting to do what you can't and you feel a little jealous. She seems used to it now, wonder if I'll ever get used to my sacrifice.

Till next I write

No comments: