Sunday, April 09, 2006

Growing past a fad

I used to love wide-leg jeans. I used to think the only jeans that were worth looking at were wide-leg jeans. I was never seen in denim if it weren't a pair of wide-leg jeans. I thought the trend change to bootleg and flare jeans were a sign of the madness and depravity of humanity, or at least the fashion world.

I have since changed my mind.

This was due mainly to the fact that you can no longer find wide-leg jeans anywhere. Believe me, I tried searching high and low for them. I clung to my last few dieing pairs as though they were the most beloved friends I'd ever had. But, alas, all fabric must wear eventually, and fade, and, gasp, tear. And so, one day I gave in. I bought a pair of bootleg jeans. I drove home from the store expecting to suffer through wearing them. Were bootlegs not the enemy? Had society not used them to replace my favorites? This was a surrender that I would only just endure.

I will now only be seen in public in bootleg jeans. I still have one old pair of wides, well worn and so comfy for at home wear, but the majority of my jeans drawer is bootlegs. I had a new fad.

This little experience was not unique. I go through this all the time, really. For example, I grew up utterly assured that pink was evil. Pink was society's way of getting girls to be brain-dead clones who only cared about whether or not their makeup was perfect, the cute boy was single, or the Gap was having a sale. Pink had no identity of it's own, if you liked or wore pink you were just like everyone else. This, while never articulated into words at that tender young age, was why I said my favorite color was red in kindergarten. I didn't care 2 figs about the color red. I didn't have a favorite color in kindergarten. I suspect when I answered that question I just looked up and saw something red, and since most of the other little girls had said their favorite was pink, I surely wasn't going to say that.

Just by looking at the main color scheme of my blog you can see that I have changed my mind about pink. I've decided I love pink. It however, isn't my favorite color. Blue is my favorite color. I decided that long ago, and shall stick with it. But I like pink very, very much. I know it's a phase I will go through. I will one day not wear anything pink and not think the outfit is missing something. I won't care either way about it.

I think that a large part of my reason for going against pink and bootleg jeans is that I despise being like everyone else. I'm over that now. At least, a little bit. I used to want to so badly to be an individual that I didn't care if that individual were me or not. I've learned better now. I am starting to realize that if I like something that is popular, it doesn't make me a mindless drone following the orders of someone else. It's ok to like something popular.

I'm not sure how much any of this would apply to anyone besides me, but it definitely helps me to realize this.

Till next I write.

No comments: