Saturday, April 08, 2006

The longest 15 minutes

I think that the longest fifteen minutes in the day is from 2:30 to 2:45 pm. Everyday, it feels like the clock slows down. I know that the clock isn't to blame, it's an atomic clock, it's never wrong.

By contrast, the shortest fifteen minutes in the day is 2:45 to 3:00 pm. That, my friends, is my afternoon break time. Life speeds up like someone is watching a video tape and that happens to be the commercial break, and what do most normal people do during a taped commercial break? They fast-forward.

I've often wondered why this phenomenon doesn't occur in the morning. Why doesn't the half-hour involving my pre-morning break and morning break go through the same dramatic change? I believe it is because I don't actually wake up until noon. I don't wake up until I've eaten lunch. Oh, I'm awake, I assure you, I simply am not really awake mentally. I don't care about the clock until 12:15. Wait, you say, you said you wake up at noon! Yes, my astute readers. I wake up at noon, but I don't care about the clock. From noon to 12:15, I am only concerned with eating. I don't eat breakfast, you see. No need to tell me that it's the most important meal of the day, I already know that. I don't like breakfast. I don't like breakfast food, I don't like taking more time in the morning to eat. I simply do not like breakfast. The only breakfast I like is waffles, and only the kind my mom makes, not the toaster kind. Not even the restaraunt kind. I'm picky that way.

I suppose another reason that morning break doesn't fly by is because I usually don't talk to co-workers then. I don't talk much in the morning. No, really, I talk less in the a.m. if you believe that possible. I do talk a little on afternoon break. I do more listening than talking, but still conversation makes time go faster. There are more people in the breakroom in the afternoon, which makes for a noisier environment, another time-speeder.

And so, for me, 2:30 until 3:00 is the stangest, and most changeable half-hour of the day.

Till next I write!

No comments: