Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Worship

Worship has been on my mind lately.
See, I have "Problem" with most songs that are labled "Praise and Worship". I feel like most songs that are given that lablel lately are really prayer, petition and whiny songs. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against prayer songs, I sing them... but I don't call it worshipping God. Repeatedly asking God to fill you, love you, open your eyes is not worship. It's asking God to do something (something that probably he's already done, you just need to get your own rear in gear and believe it... I digress.)
My take on worship is that you tell God exactly how amazing, wonderful, awesome, glorious, loving, powerful, good, and whole He is. Words can't truly descirbe it, so we employ music to try and add to the meaning. And we still fall short. When you focus on God and all that He is, problems, worries, questions fall away in the glory that surrounds Him and surrounds you as you recognize it.
I'm not perfect, sometimes I get swept up in a song that has music that I find completely mesmerizing, only to later look at the words closely and find that it wasn't really much praise in it. The focus gets on me, what I've done for Him. That's not worship. Not how I see it.
As I've said, I don't have anything against petition songs, plenty of that Psalms are petitions, but they mostly (all maybe?) end up with telling God how good he is. It just seems to me that this shouldn't be the main focus of our time singing or praying to God. More time should be spent thanking and praising Him for what He is and what He has done. Even if it didn't please God (which it most certainly does) you would be encouraged by realizing that you have this amazing ally and help and life from the creator of the universe, and not only is He that amazing, He loves you more than you love Him! Isn't that amazing?

Now, I need to get back to sorting my Ipod to have my worship music all in one playlist, instead of mixed in with the "other stuff".

Till next I write!

No comments: