Monday, April 23, 2007


I'm not made for a "buggy" climate. As I write this I'm making quick glances around my room, dreading the possibility of finding some winged thing eagerly making it's way to the glow of my bedside lamp. That's part of why I loved Colorado: there were very few bugs. And of the few bugs that were in the state, even fewer flew. At least, that's how it seemed to me. I admit the yearly miller moth invasion always had me in a state of anxiety but it was only once a year. I probably have mentioned that I feel more at ease (or is it less ill at ease?) in the presence of a spider than in the presence of a moth.
I've now moved, and there are more bugs on our 5 acres of land than were in the whole state of CO. Perhaps I exaggerate, but it does seem that I have seen more insects in the last month than I saw in 5 years in my last home. The bugs also seem bigger, or more dangerous. The moths in VA are big moths, big black moths. Eww. Occasionally I would come across one wasp or hornet before. I see 5 at least daily here. My mother and I were attempting to unpack our garage with the doors open in an attempt not to overheat, but the wasps coming in for "friendly visits" drove us out 4 times.
Last night I was minding my own business watching TV when I suddenly heard the familiar sound of a disoriented moth hitting a ceiling. It was fluttering around a floor lamp and scared the hell out of me. Yes, I realize that moths don't bite, but that doesn't make them any less evil. Thank God my cat, Zoe, was in the room with me. She has a passion for eating moths. The mere sight of one will make her spring to her feet and chase without relenting until it's in her mouth. I love that cat. I think she killed a wasp one day. We must not have been home as we would have discouraged such behavior.
I hope to adjust so that I'm not ducking in fear with every step out of my house. If not I'll simply count the days until I can get a house in less of a wilderness environment. I know that insects are vital creatures, but I don't want them anywhere near me.