Sunday, April 12, 2009

I don't actually like Fred Astaire, mind you

Dear Friend,
It's Easter, and of course as far as television goes that means the usual movies. With TCM that includes Easter Parade with Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, and lots of songs for who knows what reason. I've yet to find a point to this movie (I said "point", not "plot" because the plot is quite clear. Fred's character is dropped by his dancing partner and he says he can take anyone and make her into just as good a dancer as his ex-partner, if not better) yet I watch it every few years. The weird thing is, I don't like Fred Astaire. Yeah, the man could dance, but I didn't like his singing or talking voice, and somehow he annoys me.
The man, however, could also play the drums. I've always been fascinated by drummers. I can play (or fake my way through) a few instruments, but they each only involve mostly my hands. Drums need hands and feet, all hitting a rhythm at different points. I can only keep a beat with extreme concentration. I admire drummers.
As such, I enjoy the dance number "Drum Crazy" in Easter Parade. I'm putting it here, so you can enjoy it, too.



(If you're reading this in Facebook and can't see the video, it should be on my wall)

No comments: