Saturday, April 04, 2009

I made something!

Dear Friend,
You know that song, Anything you can do I can do better? My version of it wouldn't say "better," it would probably just stop at the second "do."

I've looked at lots and lots of art and craft sites and things. For years, really. I've seen all these that other people make, draw, sew, knit, crochet, etc. etc. and just marvel at them.

My parents raised me to have this "I can do that!" attitude, or at least an "I can learn to do that!" attitude. (However, some quirk in my personality causes me to shrink back from asking anyone to teach me to do something. This leaves me trying to teach myself to do stuff.)

I improvised a doll today. I've been meaning to try my hand at making dolls and stuffed animals for about a year. Today, I took the plunge, drew an outline, steamed and pinned some fabric, took scissors to it, threw it on the sewing machine, poured plastic pellets into it, and hand sewed it shut. I completed a project in a few hours. That is what I'm most proud of. I finished something. The same day I started.

Yes, his head is lumpy, yes his neck won't support the weight of his head, yes he has no face. None of that matters, I made him. And right now, he smells like Bath and Body Works Warm Milk and Honey pillow spray.

I can't find my camera at the mo', but when I do, You'll see pictures.

No comments: