Friday, May 01, 2009

Why I won't get a tattoo

Dear Friend,
There are many reasons for me not to get a tattoo. The biggest being that I can't imagine any image or words that I would want permanently inked into my flesh for the rest of my life. Another biggie is that my dear mum would disown me, which would be inconvenient as I still live with my parents. There's also the, what's the word, stigma? that goes along with tattoos, particularly around some religious people. Add to that, my major fear of needles and my skin remains unmarked.
But I like tattoos. I like the art, and the story or significance of tattoos.

True story, my dad, before he was married, planned to get a tattoo, but since he is also afraid of needles he got drunk beforehand and the shop refused to tattoo a drunk person.

There was an article on a Christian site I go to about making the decision about whether or not to get ink. Unfortunately, the article is split in two parts, and it won't be finished until next week. Personally, I don't think it's a sin, but I wouldn't recommend it.

There's a nearby town that I've seen at least three different tattoo shops in. Understandably there are a lot of people with ink around there. Most of the choices they've made seem really unfortunate in my eyes. I can't tell you how many different girls I've seen with words written across the backs of their necks. I think it's not pretty. I don't mind tattoos there, but words seem out of place. (No offense meant if you have words on your neck) I met a girl in Colorado who regretted her neck tattoo and always wore her hair in a loose, low bun to try and hide it.

I've seen, mostly in pictures online, tattoos where a necklace would fall on a persons chest. I can't fathom that.

If I ever were to get one, it probably wouldn't be where anyone could see; like my upper back. That would work, since I'm not in the habit of wearing halter tops or anything... yeah. Oh, you know what would be cute there? Little wings! Or would that be cheesy? Doesn't matter, it won't ever happen anyway.

No comments: